The Producer is the protagonist of all the iDOLM@STER games and is the character through whose eyes these games are played. He is a young, rookie producer who has been put in charge of a new set of pop idols. His personality is based on the player's decisions and actions, and the Producer's name is also decided by the player. His actions can range from caring to perverted, although in drama CDs he is usually shown to be somewhere in-between.
A different producer appears in every continuity. Even though they have similar roles and may sometimes appear similar, they are all separate characters.
- THE iDOLM@STER Drama CD series and New Stage series's Producer produces all of the idols at 765 Productions. Because each scenario in the CDs is considered it's own "canon", his personality varies significantly. He is voiced by Yuuki Tai.
- Hiroyuki Yoshino (芳野裕行 Yoshino Hiroyuki?) is Chihaya Kisaragi's Producer from THE iDOLM@STER (1) Yasuragi no Senritsu. An old friend of Junichirou Takagi, he was offered a job as a Producer because his singing career in the United States was not doing well. He knew Chihaya when they were younger, but she has forgotten him.
- Ayano Miki (実喜綾乃 Miki Ayano?) is the unit "Proro" (Haruka Amami, Yukiho Hagiwara, and Ritsuko Akizuki)'s Producer from THE iDOLM@STER (2) Tokimeki no Summer Days. He is very cold and serious, and is known as a "Legendary Producer".
- Takenori Yamazaki (山崎武則 Yamazaki Takenori?) is a Producer from THE iDOLM@STER novel series. He is a rookie, and joined 765 Productions because of his admiration of Hiroyuki. He also is the one who gave "Proro" their name.
- THE iDOLM@STER relations's Producer is Miki Hoshii's Producer, and the former Producer of Chihaya Kisaragi. He is well known for his work with Chihaya, and eventually becomes Namco Angel's producer. He is voiced by Takahiro Mizushima.
- Yuutarou Takagi (高木裕太郎 Takagi Yuutarou?) is the 765 Production Producer from THE IDOLM@STER Break!. He is Junichirou Takagi's grandson. Though he is only 16, Takagi left the office in his hands after being hospitalized. He is the first producer to ever produce Hibiki or Takane in any continuity. He is voiced by Azumi Asakura.
- THE iDOLM@STER 2: The world is all one!!'s Producer is the unit "SprouT" (Haruka Amami, Yukiho Hagiwara, and Hibiki Ganaha)'s Producer. He was an employee of 961 Productions, sent by Takao Kuroi to sabotage the office. He eventually defected and became a supporter of all of the 765 units, but focused on SprouT.
- Kyouhei Suruga (駿河恭平 Suruga Kyouhei?) is Chihaya Kisaragi, and later SLEEPING BEAUTY's Producer from THE iDOLM@STER 2 Nemuri Hime. He's a bit scatterbrained. He is voiced by Shintarou Asanuma.
- THE iDOLM@STER (anime)'s Producer produces all of the idols at 765 Productions, though Ritsuko Akizuki produces Ryuuguu Komachi after Episode 7. He is very passionate about his job, and is willing to go the extra mile for his idols without showing favoritism, which has made him popular with fans to the point of nicknaming him "Broducer". He is voiced by Kenji Akabane, and as such is sometimes called AkabaneP or just BaneP. According to THE IDOLM@STER MODEL SHEET COLLECTION, his height is 174 cm and his weight is 65 kg.
- THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls (anime)'s Producer is a representative of 346 Production, and also works as a scout. He is an intimidating man with sunken eyes and a hulking stature that often leads to people (including the police) to be scared of him, but he's actually quite awkward. The gap between his appearance and his earnest, purehearted personality led him to be quite popular with fans. He is voiced by Shunsuke Takeuchi and as such is often referred to as TakeuchiP.
- THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS WILD WIND GIRL's Producer is an intimidating man who resembles a yakuza, as a match for former delinquent idol Takumi Mukai whom the manga is focused on.
- THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS U149's Producer is a short, young-looking man who favors mature idols but is placed in charge of a group of child idols.
- THE iDOLM@STER: SideM's Producer appears in the in-game manga as a consistent character, making SideM the only game in the series to have a defined producer design. They wear an open-collared suit without a tie and have long hair, making their gender somewhat ambiguous, likely to reflect the mixed audience of the game. Though the Producer is rather expressive, they are never depicted with eyes. They are very enthusiastic about their work, to the point of occasional overenthusiasm, and can be something of an airhead.
In game, the producer is never seen and is always from a first-person point-of-view, with the exception of SideM, which features an official producer in the in-game manga. The producer is depicted in Puchimasu! manga and in fandom as a male with a bright yellow letter 'P' for a head. In the comics drawn by Proton for the official arcade and Xbox 360 version character pages and THE iDOLM@STER: Live for You! DLC webpages, the Producer is drawn as a man with the letter 'P' on his face rather than any facial features. In the adaptations, the Producer is typically shown as a man with short black or blue hair, glasses, and wearing a suit and tie.
- In THE iDOLM@STER: Live for You!, the protagonist is not Producer. Instead the player takes on the role of a fan representative, since it's said that Producer has been extremely busy.
- The Producer is either 20 or 21 years old. He states that he isn't older than Azusa, but is older than Ritsuko, also other hints are when Kotori asks Producer to take her for a drink. (The legal age for drinking in Japan is 20)
- The anime's Producer is the Producer to appear in the most works to date: the 2011 anime, the No Make! drama cd, the Namassuka SPECIAL cd series, and the manga series by Mana.
- Other characters in the series are considered "Producers" and, depending on the character, will either collaborate or consider him a rival. Examples of this are Ritsuko Akizuki (iM@S 2), Reiko Ozaki (Dearly Stars), and Yukie Yabushite (relations manga).