|SideM character data|
A former kabuki onnagata, Shoma is a refined and flamboyant man who loves nothing more than being the center of attention. He believes life is a transient thing and thus insists on taking it in stride as it comes, an attitude that can sometimes be misinterpreted as airheadedness. However, despite his aura of effortless confidence, Shoma takes his work nothing short of seriously. He’s a perfectionist who is willing to accomplish his goals by whatever means necessary, and he’ll work through even the most difficult of struggles with a smile on his face.
Shoma is considered one of the most beautiful idols in the office in both the masculine and feminine sense. He’s quite high-maintenance, and he won’t allow himself to go out in public if he has even one hair out of place. He also enjoys working out on his days off to maintain his figure and serves as Sai’s personal trainer. Although he generally doesn’t lecture his unit, he can become uncharacteristically stern (and terrifying) in an instant when matters of skincare or physical fitness are involved. He especially likes to nag Kirio for his gluttonous eating habits.
Shoma has a playful side as well. He teases his unit frequently, especially Kuro; he and Kirio often team up to take advantage of Kuro’s irritability and unfamiliarity with modern practices. His teasing is never malicious, though, and he’s very compassionate underneath his jokes. As the oldest Sai member by nearly a decade, he treats the other two as if they were his own children. He treasures his experiences with them immensely and has meticulously documented their time together in photos, which he compiled in a scrapbook for the third anniversary. He believes that his dream and the stage he wants to stand on shine even brighter with Sai than they did when he was alone.
He instinctively will step into a parental role for his other colleagues as well when he deems it necessary. In the Original Pieces live in Sendai, he felt responsible for his group to a point where he stopped behaving like himself until they reassured him that they could take care of themselves. He’s also taken care of Rei on some occasions when Kei was absent or unexpectedly asleep.
Shoma saw his first kabuki production in junior high school, where he was so deeply moved that he became determined to stand on the same stage one day. Despite his strong passion and commitment to his performances, he was often relegated to minor roles and became frustrated that he was being fed shallow compliments and flattery without any roles to show for it.
At some point before being scouted, he was approached by Kirio at the festival that Beit and High x Joker were performing at in episode 4 of the anime. During their discussion, Shoma mentions that he thinks it would be fun to stand on a stage like the idols do, to which Kirio responds with an invitation to form an idol group. Shoma brushes him off and tells him not to say such foolish things before walking away. However, he has a change of heart when he sees a Jupiter concert, where he experiences an emotional reaction similar to the one he had upon viewing his first kabuki play in his youth; he resolves there and then that he’d like to become an idol after all.
Recorded Solo Songs
|Recorded Solo Songs|
|Pin to Kona ～Chou yo Hana yo～||Solo song||THE IDOLM@STER SideM ORIGIN@L PIECES 02|
|Sakurairo||Shoma Hanamura Solo Remix||THE IDOLM@STER SideM 3rd ANNIVERSARY SOLO COLLECTION 03|
Recorded Group Songs
Trivia and Fan Culture
- He is one of the only idols who refers to himself with feminine pronouns. Additionally, Kirio calls him bijin-san (“beautiful woman”) before they’re formally introduced.
- Butterflies are a recurring motif used for him. Kirio’s nickname for him is chouchou-san (often translated as “Madame Butterfly”), he has a hairpin with a butterfly on it, and he owns multiple kimonos with butterflies on them.
- He enjoys going to maid cafes and coffee shops, a hobby he shares with his voice actor. He also has an interest in butler cafes. Another hobby he shares with his voice actor is karaoke; he likes going out to sing with coworkers from other units.
- He refers to everyone, regardless of relative age, with the -chan honorific and has given a large portion of the other idols cutesy nicknames. Notable examples include “Yuki-chan” (Kamiya), “Momo-chan” (Kazuki), “Hero-chan” (Hideo), and “Satan-chan” (Asselin).
- He attributes his physical strength to his time in kabuki. Kabuki costumes can weigh as much as 20kg (if not more), and the actors must carry this weight while dancing and otherwise moving around the stage for several hours.
- During SideM's infancy, all the idols were interviewed and asked who they would like to collaborate with. He says he'd like to make a song with Altessimo because he likes their music. This dream was partially fulfilled when he starred with Kei in the "Cybernetics Wars Zero" movie event, which happened to include a song.